Friday, January 22, 2010

So dad went to get a dog today...

The new semester at school has started. I had a little trouble with my schedule, as usual, but I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

1-Advanced Functions
2-Choir
3-Phsycology
4-AP US History

The only one I don't like is Adv. Func. I hate math. Oh well. I left school early today because I don't really feel all that great, and I spent all day in the guidance office messing with my schedule anyway.

Daddy's home for the weekend. Got here Wednesday night. He and Savannah are on the way to Greensboro now to pick up a puppy he bought. I don't know what to think. We just lost Diesel Tuesday night. Mom's not really happy about the idea of a new puppy, and I just feel like maybe daddy jumped the gun and got another dog too soon. Savannah's excited, but I guess that's to be expected. I have to admit I'm excited too, and after all, this new puppy has no idea about Diesel, and we can't take it out on him. I think that mom will be happier with it once the dog is actually here.


Diesel can never be replaced. However, here's what people have to understand (because I've gotten some grief about 'replacing Diesel' at school), people have different ways of coping with things. I'll give you an example by telling how my family feels about losing diesel and getting a new puppy.

Mom- Her way of dealing with the loss is to attempt to shut out the empty feeling and say things such as "I never want another dog" or "let's get rid of all the pets". Of course, these things don't show how mom *really* feels, it's just her way of coping.

Dad- Can't avoid the emptiness. When I told him I felt like he was jumping the gun with the new dog, he said to me "Diesel is in heaven with Earl and your Papa. He is happy and he would want all of us to be happy. He knows we could never replace him and that he will always hold a special place in our hearts, but he wouldn't want me to be sad, and right now I am very sad." So dad's way of coping is to fill the hole. I see it kind of like this, Daddy wants to take all that love that Diesel gave him and share with a puppy who didn't have a home. I personally think that it's nice of my dad to adopt a dog.

Savannah- Just knows we lost our dog, and that he's in heaven with Papa and Earl. She's thrilled to get a new dog, and these feelings are expected... she's 6.

Me- I'm kind of a mixture of mom and dad's feelings. I miss Diesel and I love him and there is no way he could ever be replaced, but that puppy doesn't have a home yet, and we will love him dearly. Not like we loved Diesel, but differently. It's kind of like parents with kids. Most parents will say they love their childern the same amount and differently. I kind of see it like that.

The new puppy will start out as dad's travel companion. Daddy's already spoken with the hotel and they've agreed to make an exception to their NO Pets rule. Yes, we realize their will be hotels that won't agree, and the dog will stay home with us girls, but please blogworld and friends of mine who read this, please understand that we are not by any means replacing Diesel. That's impossible.

No comments:

Search This Blog