Saturday, August 21, 2010

And So I Packed Away My Summer Clothes

This summer has flown by ridiculously fast. It seems like yesterday that I ran around school on the last day of my Junior year making sure all the Seniors had signed my yearbook in fear that I might not see them again.

Little did I know we'd throw a surprise party for one of them and I'd see them all again at least one more time. Or that I'd volunteer at VBS at the same church one of them went to.

But now they are all moved in to their different schools across the state. Some are close and some not so much, but they have promised to keep in touch. Thinking logically, I know deep down that keeping in touch will be a small facebook chat or a text now and then, and I am thankful for that, but it's hard to know that it might be a very long time before I see them again.


It's even harder to think my younger friends will feel as I do now in just 10 short months. I will be the graduate that they will miss.


Thankfully, I have spent a lot of my time this summer with the girl who became my very best friend. Kelsey helped me through some hard situations last year, and spending a week together at the beach at the beginning of the summer really did a lot for our friendship and led us to spend the rest of the summer together as much as possible.

The last few months of school last year, the girl who has been my best friend since I was 6 made some new friends while we didn't have many classes together. I felt like her mindset was that I would still be there when she got ready to come back, and that really hurt my feelings. There were arguments and immature silent treatments and the biggest "fight" we've ever been in. I will always love Beth and we have Chorus and we have spent a couple of days together this summer and we are still friends through it all, but I think we both know that our friendship is different. She has a new crowd, and so do I. And as much as I hate the idea of a clique, it just happened. She will always be my first best friend and she knows so much about me it's crazy, I look forward to spending our senior year and 12th year as friends together and hopefully go to the same college.


Kelsey was there for me through all of the drama and she has been here all summer.
We are more than ready to go back to school and, as we say, "run this place".
We are proud of the BFF label, and even with only one class together and lunch this semester, we are confident that nothing can tear us apart. It has been a summer of heartbreak, fun, secrets, and adventures like none either of us had ever been on. I hope we end up at the same college after graduation, but it's unlikely since our career paths are so different.


I've spent a lot of time with family, too.
We've visited dad in Charleston, SC countless times, and we all went to the beach at Topsail for a week.

It has been tons of fun spending time with our household family, and with my cousins and their household family.

Even when Tabetha and I opted to tour the Battleship alone, and scared ourselves silly with fear of ghosts and jumping at the sight of mannequins.

I have learned so much this summer. I have become a part of a worlidwide effort to "kick cancer" and find a cure after becoming attached to stories of kids on twitter and seeing a child I know personally get diagnosed. And I have grown closer to God by private Bible study time and more prayer than ever before in my life, even though I have been away from church almost all summer.

This week has been nothing less exciting and adventure filled.
Tabetha got confirmation that she really IS expecting, for sure, and though it shocked the family, we are stepping up to help her out. It is a weight off of my back, because I had known it was a possibility since the week at Topsail and I promised I wouldn't tell.

Last night was the first home football game and I went to support our boys and to support Beth as it was her first National Anthem performance of the season.
The Eagles won 20 to 15 and it was so awesome to see everyone again. It was so surreal to have tenth graders come up to me and already be saying how much they are going to miss me and school hasn't even started just yet.


Tonight is Ross and dad's birthday party.
I'm excited to celebrate and have one more big family night before school starts and to spend the night with Tabetha and talk about everything some more.


It's crazy how our family watched Tabby graduate last year, this year it is my turn, and next year we get to go to Georgia to see Dannille graduate and then come home and see Ross graduate a month later. Then we wait until 2016 for Jack, 2022 for Savannah, and who knows what year Dalton will graduate.


Whether I am ready or not, it is time for my senior year. High school flew by just as fast as this summer, so if you are reading this and you are in high school, please enjoy every moment and take lots of pictures. Before you know it you'll be buying supplies for senior year. And worrying about college stuff.

So far I've gotten my senior pictures taken, made sure my schedule was exactly right, gotten my supplies and gotten them ready, packed away my summer clothes that aren't in dress code, and attended the first football game of the season.

Monday is orientation and then Wednesday is the first day of my senior year.


My goals are to keep up with every thing I do on this blog and to take 2011 pictures.
I went with the yellow background and purple text scheme because those are my school colors.

It's going to be a fun but scary year, and I don't want to miss a thing.

No comments:

Search This Blog